The global climate emergency that we are going through and which is increasingly urgent, has led us to make a change in priorities by understanding that our activities have an environmental impact, making it necessary to rethink our actions and consumption habits, in order to mitigate the climate crisis. This premise has also led the industrial sector to assume challenges and opportunities for transformation with a view to a circular economy.
In that order of ideas, some companies in the plastic sector have committed to improving their environmental obligations, entering a transition stage until they fully achieve the objectives proposed by local government entities in the medium and long term.
In this process of searching for alternatives, some strategies that have been implemented in the macro sustainable are: training for suppliers on pertinent environmental issues, making a chain of sustainability; implementation of new technologies that give rise to more efficient processes; logistics improvements that optimize fuel; environmental awareness campaigns in which the end customer is included, since they are a valuable part of the cycle closure, making them aware of their responsibility as an actor in the production chain; investigation of alternatives together with the universities, resulting in the creation of companies with innovative solutions, opening new markets with potential to explore; improvements in the design of products, considering the end of their useful life and favoring their reuse and/or recycling; opening of new recycling plants in the country, giving added value to what was believed to be waste.
As well as these initiatives, at Colarquim S.A.S. we also join this commitment, which is why we have been implementing strategies that help us reduce our environmental impact. Here we mention the main ones:
- Adaptation of a wastewater treatment plant to properly manage the effluents results from our processes.
- Expansion of our portfolio with environmentally friendly products that help our customers accomplish their environmental obligations.
- Internal management for the disposal of hazardous waste with a third party company.
- Purchase of post-industrial supplies for different processes in our plant.
- Awareness through our communication channels.
- Circularity of the by-products obtained in the extrusion process.
- Separation and disposal of waste according to Colombian regulations.
- Support for recyclers in the sector.
- Training for staff and customers interested in sustainability issues.
We all do the change!
If you have questions or require more information, you can contact the Masterbatch Plant located in Sabaneta, Antioquia by phone: +57 (604) 444 80 97 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Author: MB Plant Research’s team | February 7, 2022.