Traditionally in the paper industry, mechanical refining is used as a process that involves the action of discs with particular designs, depending on the type of fiber to be processed. These discs move relative to each other, seeking to improve the resistance properties of the paper. However, this action, when the substrate involves secondary fibers, generates degradation in it and increases the fines in the process.
In that order of ideas, a disadvantage of refining is the high energy consumption that normally ranges between 150 to 500 kWh, which would be 30% to 50% of the total energy consumed in the paper mills.
Now, biorefining is a pre-treatment in which enzymes are used to improve the interlacing of the fibers, also improving resistance properties and reducing energy consumption. Unquestionably this enables the costs of the refining process to be reduced, obtaining a good quality of the paper and a more environmentally friendly impact.
At Colarquim we have the Paperzyme B product, designed with selective enzymes to carry out an excellent biorefining, which has given very positive results in the packaging and tissue industries.
Below, we mention some of its advantages:
- Excellent option to reduce energy costs.
- Increases the strength properties of paper, acting as an agent to increase dry strength.
- It allows a better interlacing of fibers due to a more homogeneous fibrillation.
- It allows to obtain higher values of freeness (or lower SR °) with the same resistance properties, reducing energy consumption in refining.
- There is less damage to the fibers and less generation of fines, which allows to increase the drainage of the pulp.
- The increase in resistance properties obtained can be from 20% to 30%.
- The drain gain can easily reach 10% or even 15%, increasing the speed of the machine.
In addition to the above, Paperzyme B complies with the requirements of the FDA, BfR, Mercosur and ANVISA RDC 88 and 90.
Finally, the recommended dose is 60 to 150 g / ton, applied at previous point to refining that guarantees a residence time of 30 to 40 minutes, in order to obtain better results.
If you have any questions or require more information, you can contact the Barranquilla, Atlántico Headquarters by phone: +57 (5) 377 30 10 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Author: Laboratory’s team | April 19, 2021.